RE: Hint of the week...

To: "british-cars@autox.team.net"@esca.com
Subject: RE: Hint of the week...
From: kokko@esca.com (Kurt Kokko)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 14:13:56 -0800
>From:  FLASH::"gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu"  2-FEB-1994 14:12:40.00
>To:    british-cars@autox.team.net
>CC:
>Subj:  Hint of the week...

[Chomp]

>And the Hint of the Week: If you are tempted to drill holes and use
>self-tapping screws, rather than the original glue, to attach new
>upholstery to the central part of the cockpit side of the firewall, don't.
>Especially if the battery is installed.
>
>Moral 1: It is good to learn from your mistakes, but better yet to learn
>from other people's.
>
>Moral 2: If 90% of the upholstery is screwed on, and 10% is glued on, you
>might pause and wonder if there is a reason before you grab the drill.
>
>Ray

Thanks for the memories.  Seems that drilling a hole for self tapping screws to
hold my fancy new stereo resulted in the above happening in my 79 midge 5 years
ago.  (yeah, I know, I was young and stupid and wanted my tunes.  Car has since
been de-radio'd back to original, including a new kick panel to the trunk to
fix the speaker hole I created.)

Battery acid does amazing things to upholstry....

-Kurt Kokko