Advice on Midget top

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on Midget top
From: widmer@austin.wireline.slb.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 09:37:55 CST

I'm about to install a new top on our 74' Midget. Yesterday I took the
old one off which turned out to be very easy, even the screws came out
without any problems.

After looking at some catalogs I seem to have several options for a
replacement. Most catalogs list a basic vinyl top for about $200 with
all the fasteners included but not installed. In addition, British
Victoria lists an OE style (what does that mean?) top from Tickford
for about $270 and Moss seems to have something similar, but with the
header installed for about $300.

Now, what are the advantages of the more expensive tops? Is it just
that the header is already installed? Or is it actually of better
quality with a better fit and less likely to leak? Installing the
header doesn't seem to be that hard, so is it worth spending the extra
money just for that? And if I buy the basic vinyl top, where should I
order: Moss, Victoria British, or ... ? And last, on my MGA I used to
have a top from AMCO, where would I get one of these?

Any advice and shared experiences are appreciated!

Thanks,

Christoph Widmer