Re: valve clearance and rover sale

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: valve clearance and rover sale
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Mon Jan 31 08:47:27 1994
TeriAnn, In your message you write:

> My guess is an overlose rocker arm & high revs possibly with a structural
> weakness in that push rod.  The valves were adjusted to 24 thousands to try
> pass SMOG.  I think I will reset them to 20 thousands (has nonstock cam of
> unknown specs & only runs smoothly & well when set lose).

WOW, that sounds real loose.  I admittedly run an A series motor,
buth with a full race cam and 1.5 rockers. I use clearances of
.016...which is a little loose...stock is .014.  An experienced
engine builder explained to me that very loose is *bad*, it puts
greater stress on the valve train taking up the big gap.  I would
suggest you tighten the clearances up and check them a little more
frequently just to make sure.

> TeriAnn

Just heard on the radio on the way in this morning that BMW is
buying Rover for $1.2B...that should be interesting, sure hope they
have the sense not to kill the Mini.

Jim

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil or jfuerstenberg@zz-linkl.dcmdc.dla.mil

"Here's to our friends the good guys.  And here's to our enemies, the
bad guys.  And here's to the hope that we can tell the difference."

 --Keith Laumer--