MG Metro and Maestro

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG Metro and Maestro
From: daniel@hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 15:43:24 GMT
felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU (Felix) writes:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that there have been
> hatchback MGs manufactured during the 1980's, though they weren't
> imported here.  I think these (one of which was called the Metro?)
> might have been supercharged or turbocharged.  Anyway, if anyone has
> any information on supercharged MGs (including the size of their
> engines, hp, carbs, etc.), let us know!

Yes there was, and indeed still is an MG Metro, and an MG Maestro.
Both these cars are produced by Austin/Rover or whatever they call
themselves these days. HOWEVER they are not really MGs. The Metro
and Maestro are types of car in their own right, the MG varient is
just a sporty model. Neither of them owe anything of their design
to the real MGs, aside from being plastered with MG badges in order
to make them look as if they have some sporting pedigree. They are
sporty models but certainly not sports cars. The Metro was introduced
as a replacement for the Mini. The Metro has none of the Minis
charisma, though it is a little larger :-) The Mini continues to be
produced despite the Metros introduction. The Metro is a hatchback
whereas the Maestro is a standard type saloon.

The REAL successor to the MG is the V12 engined 2 (+2??) sports
car that is either just out or soon to be out. Sorry I can't help
with more details, not my marque. The only thing the MG Metro is
good for is providing decent sized engines (well 1300) for the
Mini :-) I just couldn't bear the thought of someone getting
excited about the Metro or Maestro, thinking they had found a modern
MG!

Daniel.