British Cars Digest #1072 Sat Jan 22 01:15:01 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: British Cars Digest #1072 Sat Jan 22 01:15:01 MST 1994
From: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 94 21:48:27 +0900
   From: tvrvixen@aol.com

   The crossflow head engines have the combustion chamber in the piston
   instead of the head, so the pistons are very different.

So, Jey may need new pistons but it is rather easy, for the cross flow
pistons have the same bore.
Block head must be properly done to accomodate intended compression ratio.

   The 1340 is a 3 main bearing engine, the book I have does not recommend
   trying to increase th power much because of the hollow crank,
   long stroke and short rods.

Accoding to the super 7 owners manual.
Super 7 cosworth was souped up to 80hp with the stock hollow crank unchanged.
Cosworth SCCA has even higher compression ratio with this
but rumored to bang in 15 minutes.

   I have a good book on these motors, "Tuning four Cylinder Fords" by Paul
   Davies.
   SpeedSport Press, ISBN # 0-85113-076-3.  I don't know if it is still in
   print.

Oh, I wanna have one:-)

   >4) Are the Dell'orto's going to be too much carb for this motor
   >without a cross-flow head?

Super 7 cosworths aspirate thorough weber 40DCOE2.

   The book mentioned above says not to try to increase the power of the older
   engines, get a later, larger motor first.  If you can find a Cortina GT 1600
   cc engine it  would be a lot easier path to more power.

That may be wise for the road use.

Kazuhiro Igeta  My another car is Super Seven, too!
NTT BRL