Re: MGB cams

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB cams
From: mgbracer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 19:31:23 EST
HI
  I'm trying to put a litte more HP into my MGB drivers school engine. The
bottom end is stock and the head is ported. Estimated compreshon is about 10
- 10.5 to 1. I'm switching from a 45 dcoe (36mm venturi) to SU hs4's. The cam
is currnetly stock, but I've tried a reground cam with mega lift (~.002 less
botoming the springs) but the engine had much less acceleration than with a
stock 18GJ ('71) cam. The springs et all seem good. I've had a few excersions
over 6500 rpm with no valve float,even with the "mega" cam. Can any one
sugest a 'Killer cam for a mid compreshon "race" motor. Scott you said the
Piper was good on the street, but would you race with one again?  I'd like to
go all out with about 12.5 to 1 but in the mean time I wan't a little more HP
for school. In the last school I was very fast in the corners but my
straightaway speed sucked (I hate being passed!).
   Any one had experience with through bored SU's?  How different would the
car respond with through bores as opposed to a webber?

                   Thanks for all the advice

                    John Ross
                    '68MGB DSP AutoX '65MGB EP  Road Racer
                    '87YAMAHA Banshee w/nitros oxide 'Killer Tow"