Defending Lotus ;-)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Defending Lotus ;-)
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 11:37:41 -0800 (PST)
Ray Gibbons wrote in response to a post about active mufflers:

>>      Tim Mullen writes:

stuff deleted...

Ray's stuff:

>Good as far as it goes, but Lotus suffer from a lack of imagination
>(probably the Detroit influence).  Having canceled the sound of the
>econobox, the system should replace it with your choice of Ferrari,
>Porsche, Jaguar (toggle switch for 6 or 12 cyl), etc. in full song, with
>appropriate synchronization to the shift lever and accelerator.  Talk
>about Walter Mitty.

>I have been known to make appropriate engine-like sounds vocally when
>downshifting my H**** Prelude, but only when alone in the car.

>Ray Gibbons

Ray, and the rest of the list,  my post was partially forwarded from
the Lotus list, where a discussion of active suspension was progressing,
including a comment about making a car lean INTO a turn (like in riding
a motorcycle).  Anyways, the original post follows, and it just goes to
show you that you think like the engineer types at Lotus...

Oh, yea...  My kids hate it when I make "racy car sounds" while driving
my H**** Accord around...   My wife just wonders why she married me...

Original post follows:

Along the topic of active suspension...

I saw a show on the Discovery channel, or The Learning Channel (or
some such cable channel) the had an "article" about Lotus's Active
sound canceling system.  The system used sensors placed around the
interior of the car to "listen" to the noise, then cancel the noise
(engine sounds, air conditioner, etc.) by generating more "noise" 180
degrees out of phase. The system was designed to eliminate the buzz of
small 2, 3, or 4 cylinder econo box cars and engines; -- to make them
more acceptable.

But wait!  there's more!

Lotus' system then added it's own driver selectable "noise"; sports
car,  thundering American V8, race engine, etc. to the generated
signal.  Instant Formula 1 Hyundia, Geo, Ford, etc...  The sound was
generated appropriate to the engine speed, throttle position, gear
selection, -- you get the idea  -- it sounded "right"...

Now combine the "active" sound with the active suspension, and you
really could turn that Hyundia (leaning INTO the turn via active
suspension) into a road racing motorcycle, or your pickup into an
Esprit...   the possibilities are mind boggling.... ;-)  ;-)

Tim Mullen     mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov
72 Elan Sprint    --  For the few who know the difference...