Re: Early hi-comp Rover V8s

To: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Subject: Re: Early hi-comp Rover V8s
From: dhuddles@charm.gandalf.ca (David Huddleson)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 14:41:18 -0500 (EST)
> Andy Dingley describes the Rover P5:
>
>     (info deleted...)
>
> Regarding this sought-after version of the V8, would one be making any
> concessions in choosing one of these over a modern (say, late Range Rover)
> motor, ignoring the displacement difference?  For example, despite the higher
> compression, would the combustion chamber design burn less well, or would
> the valves be smaller?  Maybe the block has less suitable mounting points
> for today's ancillaries?

With the introduction of the Rover 3500 (SD1) in 1976, Rover re-worked the
3.5 V8 at this time to improve on some of the perceived (and actual!) problems
inherent in this engine all the way back to its "Buick" days. If we call the
pre-76 engine the "old Rover" design, we find that Rover simply took over
the old Buick tooling, made almost no changes and out came the "old Rover" V8.

The "new Rover" V8, post '76 had improved breathing with re-worked porting,
valves and combustion chamber design, and a much improved oil pump (!) for
better volume. This "new" design could also rev more freely, to act in a
more "European" manner, where lumbering low-RPM engines are not the norm.

The "new Rover" V8 (post 1976) is a much better base to build a performance
engine out of, but parts (and labour for the head work) are available
to make the "old Rover" go as well.

So, if it were me, I'd try to get the "new" V8 to start with.

David

--
dhuddles@gandalf.ca   David J. Huddleson   Gandalf Data Ltd., Nepean, Ontario
                      (613) 723-6500 Days  (613) 822-1315 Otherwise