spring compressors

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: spring compressors
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 94 14:23:31 -0500
        Concerning Scott's mention that MGB's are designed to not need
spring compressors:  The same applies to Sprites/Midgets.  I've removed
a number of springs from Sprites with just a floor jack.  The spring is
under 0 compression long before it has any chance to pop out (not suprising
given the weight of a sprite).  Reverse to install.

        I've also used the trick to remove/install TR6 springs, though I
was far more paranoid about that (much heavier car, and I didn't know how
far I had to go to release the pressure).  It was harder than on a Sprite
to manage, especially refitting.  I did try renting a spring compressor -
it didn't fit.  Next time I do it (I have uprated springs I need to install
at some point) I'll probably use the threaded-rod trick.

#include <std.disclaimer.its.not.my.fault.if.you.kill.yourself>

        Randell Jesup