Re: Locking Convertibles

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Locking Convertibles
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 14:59:01 PST
I'm with Scott; when I bought Sarah (my TR-4A) I just decided not to
leave anything valuable in the car and never lock it. This has carried
over, to a certain extent, into my other cars which are lockable.

Things that are vaguely valuable (sunglasses, car title) go into the
glove box, which I often lock. Larger items go into the boot, which is
typically locked.

I worry more about joy rides than pilfering. To this end, I started
carrying a "Club" about a year ago, and I use it when I feel marginally
uncomfortable. The keys are stashed in the glove box, which gets
locked. It won't keep the car from being stolen by a serious thief a
bolt cutter through the steering wheel will get the thing off in 15 seconds).

I also just finished installing a simple alarm, based on a synthesis of
ideas discussed here about a year ago. It does two things: first, when
the ignition system is switched off, a dash-mounted LED starts
flashing. This seems to have become a common signal that an alarm is
installed, and I'm assuming that it's a first-line deterrent (and I
also assume that at least half the flashing LEDs out there are that and
nothing more).

Second level is that there's a hidden switch. When activated, the LED
pattern changes, and the horn relay is connected to the ignition
circuit through a transistor, such that voltage applied to the ignition
system (say, by hot-wiring the car, or even by turning the key) trips
the horn relay.

This is fairly simple stuff, but it makes me comfortable about random
lossage. I'm not Locking Convertiblesinterested in a "real" alarm. Yet.