Re: Conversion from Mailing List to Newsgroup

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
From: Jaminaz <jaminaz@halcyon.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 1994 00:25:02 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 2 Jan 1994 Paulo de Souza wrote:

> I would like to trow an idea to the whole list: To convert it into a
>Newsgroup.
> I am a newcomer here and I DO find it very hard to read and follow up on the
> subjects because the way it is listed and structured (or lack of it).
>Sometimes
> I am interested in the message-before-the-last and I have to keep scrooling
> through the wole thing (and being exposed to all) till I get there. With a
>news
> reader one can KILL an entire thread and discard it, and pick only the
>postings
> one is intereted at and would make life a lot easier ...
>
> A malinling list is ideal for something that has a low volume of one to five
> messages a week (one example) but NOT for such a high-volume list like this
> one. We could even organize things in a way that the ones that prefer to read
> it as a mailing-list could continue as such, with the newsgroup running in
> parallel and with the same contents.
>
> What do you think of it ???????
>
> Paulo Ney de Souza
> desouza@garnet.berkeley.edu

(Switching Lurk mode off....)
Paulo,
   I would not like to see that happen, at least if it meant the end of
the list as a mailing list. Not all systems that provide email access
provide usenet newsgroups. I guess the concept of high-volume vs.
low-volume is pretty relative. I have seen some reach 100/day, so b-c
doesn't seem all that bad. Since I receive this list in digest mode,
I get one message a day. It lists the message headings at the top, and I
can scroll through it as I wish. That works pretty well for me, since I
am normally here on "lurk" mode, but I read most of what passes through
(and appreciate a lot of the information I pick up around here).
A lot of the mechanics of threading, reading and responding depends on the
reader you are using, some are better than others.

   Before changing the format, I would suggest looking at other options,
consider the digest, if you aren't already, but to eliminate the mailing
list would exclude some subscribers (whether you hear much from them or not).

   Jim.

Lurk mode switched back on  ;-)