Re-RE-CARB-ARMSTRONG SIDDLE

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re-RE-CARB-ARMSTRONG SIDDLE
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 1 Dec 1993 12:41:34 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:12:20 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Re:RE:CARB:ARMSTRONG SIDDLEY           Date:12/1/93
Alan wrote:> COSTICH_ALAN/HPATC1_01@i3125ent.atl.hp.com

>I have always thought that SU's were measured
in eighths of an inch. Using his example of
an H6, the throat would actually be an inch
and 3/4, that is, six eighths.

Huh??????????

> True, six fourths
would be an inch and a half, an H6 is really
an inch and three-fourths.

>Alan

Well, maybe I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement without checking a
whole bunch of carbs. Let me humbly back off and just offer some data points.

1) I measured an SU model H6, which was 1-1/2" throat diameter on the output or
manifold side. Thus, six fourths of an inch is correct. Incidentally, it
measured a little bit smaller on the input or air cleaner side, about 1.4", may
be a Venturi effect.

2) A friend of mine has SU model HD8's, which are 2" throat, or eight fourths
of an inch.

3) The Zenith-Stromberg CD-175 carbs on my XJ12 are 1.75" throat

Anybody have any smaller carbs and can supply other data points?

This thread started with someone looking for a carb for his 1920's era
Armstong-Siddely, but I lost his address. Did you ever get my reply?