Re: How to weld

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: How to weld
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 10:18:25 CST
So, the first vote goes to MIG. I'm going to go to 'farm and fleet'
tonight to check out what equipment they may have. $700 is in my price
range for a new welder, but I do go to the occasional estate sale so I'll
look for one there. I figure to have the left, right hinges and floor pan
replaced will cost ~$1000 if a body shop does it. Therefore $700 for a welder
(which I get to keep!) is a much better deal.

However, my grandfather has access to acetylene and arc equipmet only, but then
I guess that welding skill is pretty much independent of the equipment, and
if I learn on the 'harder' stuff, MIG welding will be easier! As for
the 1/8 inch problem...apart from the block, what is there on a midget that
is thicker than 1/8 inch?? The body panels are so thin, when it rains
it sounds like theres a bunch of old tin cans outside!! But then,
I do fancy the idea of building a rotisserie (sp?) for when I do the complete
ground up rebuild!

Thanks again

Marcus