Assembly oil or something else?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Assembly oil or something else?
From: Timothy Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 20:35:42 -0500
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Subject: assembly oil

>What weight oil should i use on engine assembly...perhaps something
>a bit heavier so that on initial start up things are still coated?
>Marcus
Marcus, you might think about using a Dow Corning product called
Gn Metal Assembly Paste.  It is a paste of molybdenum disulfide
and other lubricating solids in mineral oil.  Its function is to
reduce wear on parts during break-in. Special Characteristics are
low coefficient of friction, extreme loads, low speeds.  Applied
by burnishing into metal by rubbing with a lint-free cloth or
supplied in a spray which requires no burnishing.  I read a story
about a guy who participates in truck pull contests and was
getting just a few runs out of each engine.  When he started
using this stuff, engine longevity went way up.  I've had good
luck with another Dow Corning product, an oil additive, which
contains molybdenum disulfide.
Tim