Re: British Cars Digest #998 Sun Nov 14 13:20:22 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #998 Sun Nov 14 13:20:22 MST 1993
From: wbrown@csg.lbl.gov (Bill Brown)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 93 07:52:29 PST
> Just one more guess on this topic -it's not an uncommon trick among American
> V-8 performance builders to paint the inside of the block to fix casting sand
> in the block, as opposed to the oil, bearings, pump, etc - they claim you can
> never scrub it all out, and their flavor of choice is some GE electric motor
> coil winding sealer.  Seems like overkill to me, but I've never had a $25K
> Winston Cup motor, either.

Sounds like "glyptol" to me _ I probably have the spelling wrong - which is
used to coat the windings in electric motors and transformers.  The
stuff has to be very oil-resistant since large transformers are often
filled with oil for cooling and moisture-proofing.  But I'd check the
specific manufacturers' spec-sheet before I used it in an engine.

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have     |
    nothing to do with the official policy or the   |  -bill
    management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't      |   wlbrown@lbl.gov
    care less about employees who play with trains. |