A-arm bracket snappage

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A-arm bracket snappage
From: Ian Macky <imacky@us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 93 15:55:35 PST
Hi all...

I thought someone might benefit from my current woes.  My '69 TR6 just broke
off its right lower rear A-arm mounting bracket.  Snapped in half and ripped
right off the frame.  Made this really loud *KLANG* sound as the coil spring
forced the A-arm against the frame.  Amazingly enough, it was still driveable,
as I drove it 40 miles home.  Just don't try to back up.

The matching LH bracket had the reinforcing gusset, but the broken one was
missing it.  Can't tell the exact story, but it looks like the remains of the
RH gusset are still attached to the frame, but I don't see any attachment
evidence to the bracket itself.  Who knows?  mumble PO mumble mumble

Anyway, if you put a big anti-sway bar on, or your car's getting older (as
they all are), or these parts are weakening by corrosion, and you have the
front suspension out for a rebuild, it would be well worth your while to get
the gusset kit from TRF and weld it on.

So, I'm doing a suspension rebuild as long as I had to strip everything off
to gain access to repair the grievous damage.  Wanted to do it at some point,
but my hand was forced.  Fortunately, almost all the parts were on moby sale
from TRF so it didn't hurt as bad as I'd thought.

Cheers...

--ian

PS "The parts falling off this car..." ...yeah yeah, I know, I know...