A Flurry of Starlings [was Re: An Evening of Minis]

To: tsang@cs.washington.edu
Subject: A Flurry of Starlings [was Re: An Evening of Minis]
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 93 15:34:48 PDT
> Hey, what is the proper collective term for various british cars?
>
> You know, gaggle of geese, pride of lions, ...

Actually, I've got a book at home (Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and
Fable, for fellow logobibliophiles) that lists the real words for a
host of different animals.  Big fun.

But the most important point is that each of these cars has its own
distinctive noun of assembly, reflecting the character and charm of
the vehicle in question.  Note that the character and charm component
can, depending on the vehicle in question, be any integer value in
the range +/- 65535...

I recommend the following collective nouns for various British
cars:

A flight of Spitfires
A hunt of Jaguars
A shortage of Midgets
A slip of Minis
A pelt of Healeys
A den of Cobras
An eater of Lotuses
A cataclysm of Caterhams
A virulence of Vauxhalls
An excrescence of Escorts
A muddle of Marinas
A stoppage of Austins
A microcosm of Minors
A kennel of Rovers
A tumescensce of E Types
An epoch of ERAs
An overlock of Singers
A diadem of Daimlers
An opalescence of Sprites
A tube of Metros
An arch of Triumphs
A moiety of Morgans
An apiary of MGBs (pre-1975)
A goiter of MGBs (post-1975)
A maxwell of Magnettes
A bevy of Princesses
A raising of Standards
A complaint of Humbers

--Scott "And an honorary net.nickel to the first who gets them all" Fisher