TR7 V8 is on the road!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 V8 is on the road!
From: gall@beta.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 93 21:11:48 MDT
Hi All!

Yes! My TR7 V8 is finally finished (more or less).

I have finally got an air filtre that fits under the hood (wouldn't look
cool to cut a hole and add a scoop). To get this air filtre to fit, I
had to replace the carb to manifold gasket with an extra thin type and
then file down my accelerator pump lever so it wouldn't touch the bottom
of the filtre cover.

I finished all the electrical last week - installed the dual electric
fans through a relay to a 175 F fan switch (for some unknown GM
product). This proved to be quite tricky as my rad didn't have any
mounting ports for such a switch and I had to mount it into the engine
block. To avoid the problem of the fan remaining on -trying to cool the
block - when the engine had been shut down (hence no coolant flow), I
used the ignition wire to power the relay (grounds through the fan
switch). I might eventually change this to allow the fas to continue
running for say 1 min by adding a one-shot or something - further trials
will determine if this is necessary. Its AMAZING how much difference a
beefy wire running straight from the battery will make in fan speed!
Before this work, my fans slowly ambled around at a leisurely pace -
then the car would eventually overheat if left running. Now the fans do
about mach 10 (making a horrific racket) and cycle about 50% on a hot
day (30C) when the car is left idling. All my gauges know work (with
exception to the speedo -mechanical problem), even the idiot lights!
This took a bit of doing to compare the Buick's wiring diagram and the T
Triumph to get everything to match. My tachometre runs at twice the
correct setting (its monitoring a V8 instead of a 4 cylinder now), mut
I'm conivinced that this problem will be solved to as soon as I wire in
a CMOS JK master-slave flip-flop. I can power this device up to
automotive voltages (10-15V) and let it divide the tach frequency down
by 2. An added bonus is that it also promises to 'clean-up' the sawtooth
off of the HEI's tach terminal. My alternator light (IGN) and oil pressure
light work properly along with the clock that restarted 2 days ago after
a several month dormancy (on its own).

Hopefully tomorrow I will transfer insurance over to it and start
driving it to work/school daily!

To tell you guys the truth, this is my favorite car as I feel I have the
liberty to do whatever I like to it. The next thing to do is the
bodywork. What do you think of me making it look light an authentic
British (phlemsucking) Leyland Rally TR7? - I think the screw on wheel
flares would both look nifty and also cover up the rust patches after
they are neutralised.

On a sad note - My account may be terminated sometime on the 9th! - It
seems that the UNIX machines are to be for official use only! - I will
see about finding a way around this though.

Hopefully this isn't the last time I am in contact with you all!

Greg.
--
Internet: gall@ultrix.uleth.ca

"You miss too much these days if you stop to think"
By a famous Irish poet and philosopher, Bono of the band U2, circa '91.

'76 Triumph TR7 V8 (Buick 350) Fixedhead Coupe.
'79 Triumph TR7 Auto Drophead Coupe.
'78 Mazda RX7.
'73 FIAT 128 Coupe SL 1300cc.