Re: The Death of LBCs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Death of LBCs
From: george@mech.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 93 12:22:21 EDT
|or (for a while at least) the Fiat Spider and X1/9 was the use of
|
|I also was only vaguely aware that safety concerns nearly outlawed the
|ragtop.  I always kind of wondered why there was a dead period in the
|late 70's.

The x1/9 was a direct result of that fear.  I understand that it was
specifically designed to meet a proposed ( but never enacted ) US rolover
crash test.

The death of the (american) ragtop had more to do with the death of
the solid frame, which meant that you could no longer just chop the roof,
and sell the convertable for almost the same price as the hardtop.
..they are only now realising that some people will pay $5k extra for a
convertable.