I'm back! and assorted comments...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm back! and assorted comments...
From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1993 22:59:42 -0500 (CDT)
I'm back!  Actually I've been back two weeks, but this is the first
chance I've had to converse with the SOLers.

I had fun in Europe, but didn't get to buy any parts.  (next time...)
I saw a Jag MkII, a Healy 3000 (right after explaining to Michelle
that the Healy engine was used in another car we had just seen), a MGC GT,
and a pre-war MG, complete with a bloke with a leather helmet and goggles!

The only parts adventure we had was trying to finda brake master cylinder
for my Renault R-10.  The first place we found had only truck parts (lorries).
They sent us to the biggest Renault dealership in Graz.  I knew we were in
trouble when the guy looked up the part number on micrfiche!  He gave us a
neat map with all the Renault places in Austria, and told us to call Vienna.
Vienna said they didn't have one.  Michelle asked, half joking, should I try
France?--the guy said "That would be the best advice."  Oh well.  Anyone
out there have any Renault parts?  so much for lfc's (little uh *Frech* cars)
Well, one other Frecnh car:  Michelle wanted to buy a 2CV for $700.  (No way!)

I haven't been driving my B.  It doesn't like the 100 degree weather here
in Arkansas.  I tried to finish up the brakes on our Midget, but the left
rear drum will not come off.  The shoes are backed off, and the handbrake
is released.  Fortunatly/unfortunatly it is cracked, so doing whatever we
have to do to get it off won't be a big deal.

I'd laughed as I read the posting about pre-purchase inspection.  I mean,
we're poor college students.  Our purchase check list goes something like
this.  Is it under $1000?  Do we have another uncle/aunt who'll let us park
it in their garage/barn?  Did it used to look like a Brit car?  Did the
engine once run?  Is their more steel than rust?  Could it possibly live
again?  Does it call to us?

On that note, here is an ad from today's paper.  This is what we usually
respond to...

   1953 Austin Healy 100.  parts car or restorable.  $600 or best offer.
   Call (501) 767-8374 after 5:30 pm.

I have no idea what city that is.  Suffice to say it is in rural Arkansas.
I hope the info does somebody some good, and some SOLer will safe it or use it.
I hate to see neglected cars.

Oh well, it's late and I can barely type.  I just wanted to say hi to all
my SOL friends,

Sing Blue Silver,

Keith

P.S.  Someone sometime back did a posting about an outfit that sells veneer.
Does anyone have the address?  They sell pre-adhesive stuff, burled walnut, etc.