Re: spills & thrills...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spills & thrills...
From: vanmatre@nprdc.navy.mil (Nick Van Matre)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 08:42:13 -0700
Boy! Hearing about everyone's spills (bike accident) and
thrills (gash/burns from looking at newly acquired MGB) makes
me aware of how dangerous YOU guys are with that associate with
LBCs.  Then, I remembered my recent episode of repairing Tilley's
(TR6) fuel tank/line.    Uuuuh, I guess I didn't tell you all how
when I was checking to see if the gas tank was REALLY plugged,
I removed the lower fuel line from the tank, and with my face 6
inches from the tank side of the line, I spilled about two gallons
of gas on my face and arms before I could get the line plugged.
(That was my technique for determining that it was the fuel line,
and NOT the tank, that was plugged.)

Fortunately, no hotwater tank, no open flame in garage, no sparks,
no fire/explosion.  Just a red face, from gas and embarrassment,
at my clumsiness.

Reminds me of my first sworking, on a '49 Mercury at age 16, when
I pulled the oil pan to replace a piston--workshop was a dirt alley.
Car had an open block for about 10 days before I got the pistons
installed and the pan buttoned back up.  To this day, I am amazed
that the car didn't seem to be any the worse for wear as a result of
10 days of an open engine in windy Oklahoma weather.  (I did sell
the car about 5K miles later..., though now I really wish I had
that '49 Merc coupe, in addition to my LBC...

Nick