Re: MGB Alternator (now TR6)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Alternator (now TR6)
From: Peter Kootsookos <Peter.Kootsookos@faceng.anu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 93 8:12:36 EST
Joe Flake writes:

=> I also have a dead alternator.  Mine on my '72 TR6.  Mine is a mechanical
=> (rather than electrical) failure with the bearings nicely gone to bits.
=> An interesting ride home.  I heard noises under the hood, raised hood to
=> listen and thought it was the water pump going out.  Drove home GENTLY with
=> noise getting louder and louder.  Turned out to be alternator rather than
=> water pump.  Bearings were almost seized.  Turning by hand while
=> shaking now results in little bits of bearing falling out!

Wow, sounds pretty bad!

I recently had my '72 TR6's alternator overhauled.  All that was wrong with
mine was the electronics, but while they had it apart I had the autoelectrician
replace the bearings and have a look at the brushes etc. It cost me A$110, but
the alternator I got back was the original one for the car, was working as well
as new and should now do me for a few years.

Heck, it (along with the rest of the car) made it from Adelaide, through
Melbourne to Canberra (about 1300 miles) without a hitch and it's still
going strong.

Ciao,

Peter K.

| Peter Kootsookos, Senior Research Assoc.,  | E-mail: pjk@faceng.anu.edu.au|
| Interdisciplinary Engineering Program,     | Phone : +61 6 249 4880       |
| Australian National University,            | Fax   : +61 6 249 0506       |
| Canberra, ACT 0200                         |                              |