Spit - GT6 conversion. Frame specs...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit - GT6 conversion. Frame specs...
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 12:20:09 -0400
        Boy am I pissed.  Super pissed in fact (angry, not
drunk for you UK people).  As you may recall, I have been
rebuilding a GT6 frame, suspension, and drivetrain to put my
spitfire body shell on.  One of the things I had to do was
replace the outriggers on the frame.  I made a jig from the
specifications listed in the Bentley manuals (I have an old one
covering MK III, IV and 1500 spits and a very new one covering
only 1500 spits).  Well last night was to be the big night
when I placed the shell on the frame.  Guess what?  IT DIDN"T
FIT!!!!!  The outriggers are too far forward.  I checked and
rechecked my work against the frame dimensions given in the
manual.  I welded them on exactly as listed.  The only
conclusion I can draw is that the dimensions are wrong.  I hate
to jump to conclusions, but I just can't see where I could have
made a mistake.  They use a mounting point for the front
suspension as a datum and give the measurements in three
dimensions.  The funny thing is that the outriggers are mounted
with the proper orientation, so there has to be a systematic
error someplace.  I can either slide the bodyshell forward about
a quarter of an inch and mount it on the outriggers or slide it
back and mount it on the rest of the frame.  To fix this, I need
to know exactly how far off I am. If anyone can give me further
information, I'd appreciate it.  I am going to try to measure
my spitfire frame, but I don't know how well I can do it.

        Also, I seem to have a problem with the parking brake.
I noticed that there are two cable guides mounted on the
spitfire frame.  There are none on the GT6 frame.  I assume
these are mounted on the GT6 bodyshell somewhere.  Can anyone
describe this for me?

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu

P.S.  some sympathy would help...