Re: Nova Scotia to Mexico Rally

To: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nova Scotia to Mexico Rally
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 08:28:16 -0700
Keith
Rent a car if you want to hit wrecking yards & don't expect anyone there to
speak English.  So you may have a hard time explaining that you want to
borrow a set of tools and wonder around the yard.  Unless you have a Mini
or want to see if you can ship back a Rover V8, you may be out of luck.
]
I just got back from Europe last weekend & expect a big box of Land Rover parts
to show up at the airport anytime now.

Here is what I saw while there:
Frankfurt: Minis.. Lots and Lots of Minis
Duville France (expensive costal resort) Some Minis, my first discovery,
a red XK120 roadster, an XK140 roadster, a TR3A, a series I Sprite.  They all
looked to be in excellent condition (Have I seen these cars before on the
streets of California??)

Minis were very common in Paris, but I didn't see anything else of interest.

Ziest (Netherlands) 2 rubber bumper MGBs, 1 TR6.  Interestingly, I noticed
a number of Harley Davidson bikes & few Japanese bikes in the Netherlands.

England Gobs of Land Rovers at Heathrow & some on the streets.  Minis but not
as many as in Germany or France (I kept wondering if I put a handle on a Mini,
if I could check it as baggage) In London, I saw 3 MGBs, 1 MGBGT (BRG with
red in the front below the grill, no bumpers, painted on license plates,
Large racing type fuel filler high on the side just in front of the rear hatch)
a Blue & white 3000 Healey, a red MGA, and an Austin 40 with semaphors & all.

I travled about by taxi & rail.  The trains went past several wrecking yards
and I did not see anything that would look like a classic to Americans
sitting in one.  Considering th3e poor condition of some of the cars I have
seen slated for shipping into Europe, they restore classics that get dismantled
in the US.

So I would say, you are better off going to discount retailers & getting new
parts
for cheaper than you can get them in the US.  But if you are after Mini parts
you should find lots.

So the TeriAnn Rules of European travel:

1. Forget wrecking yards unless you are after Mini, Land Rover (UK only) or
parts for cars that are 70s & 80s& popular in that country.

2. Locally sourced parts are normally a lot cheaper than you can get them in the
US.  have them ship the parts for you.  Unless they are small, you do not want
to deal with them, and you may get a tax break.

3. Bring your own wash cloth.  European Hotels do not supply them.  If you are
planning bread & breakfast or 2 star hotels, bring your own shampoo.

4. Spend your forign coins before you leave, they only convert paper currency.

5. Items in Duty free shops are no real bargin

6. Above all, have a good time

Take care & have a good trip,

TeriAnn

Lets see, in the mail are new front & rear drive shafts, a new front and a new
rear petrol tank, all new weather stripping for the Land Rover, new pinion seals
2 new roof vents & other assorted goodies.  Including shipping I saved
hundreds of dollars over Rover North prices, got a free Land Rover sweat
shirt, some free Solex carb parts & a free handful of LRO back issues.
Dixon, thanks for the Tip!