MGTD Wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGTD Wheels
From: Gary.Beck@Eng.Sun.COM (Gary Beck)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 08:58:32 PDT
Does anyone know if MGTD wheels will reliably work with tubeless tires (1951
steel wheels, not wire wheels)?  I have used inner tubes for the past 20
years for a couple of reasons:

        - all the wheels had inner tubes when I bought the car

        - someone (don't remember who) told me that the wheels weren't
          designed to hold the bead required on tubeless tires

I had a flat tire a year ago where the tube rotted around the base of the
valve, and then my spare went flat, so I was forced to face finding a new
tube.  This has been an ordeal.  Calls to auto parts store/repair centers
(e.g., Grand Auto, Monkey wards, Sears, etc.) plus to some of the big name
tire dealers resulted in failure (don't stock tubes, can't order tubes).  I
finally found a place that says they can order them, so I'm getting a
couple.  But I'm going to try to run the tire tubeless anyway.  It has held
40 pounds pressure OK for a couple of days.

Anyone else have experience with tubeless tires on TDs?

thanks.

-gbeck