Gas tank Varnish

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas tank Varnish
From: VCapaccio.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1993 12:14:00 PDT
I was helping a neighbor start his Spitfire after its winter rest and ran
across a problem that I have seen several times.  The gas filter was completely
clogged with a red / orange varnish like substance.  We fixed the problem by
replacing the filter, removing and cleaning the tank and blowing out the gas
line. We removed 3 to 4 oz. of this sticky goo.

The question is what causes this type of depostit to develop?  How do you
prevent it?  Is there a easy way to remove it once you get it?

Thanks
Vince

Vincent A. Capaccio
Xerox Corp