oil leaks & monkey snot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: oil leaks & monkey snot
From: kkarivel@ponder.csci.unt.edu (korah kuruvilla karivelithara)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 11:04:38 -0600
I bought my MGB without a valve cover gasket. In place of the gasket some
type of sealant was used. This sealant was refered to as "monkey snot" by
a friend of mine who also said  it was a 3M product. In any case this
stuff worked great, no leaks what so ever. One day I decided to scrape it
off and replace it with the proper cork gasket (big mistake!!). Now I've
got a an oil leak which I can't get rid of. I've tried the Permatex
Copper gasket stuff but it still does seal like the "monkey snot".

Does anyone out there know the real name for "monkey snot", (my friend can't
remember). Also, this stuff was yellow in color.

    Bob K.
..