dips

To: sol@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: dips
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Tue Dec 8 08:20:16 1992
Re: terriann's question on dipping.

this is a real effective process for taking a car down to bare metal and
removing all rust.  make sure the car is a bare shell and has no aluminum
parts attached.  I have seen this done on a couple of cars very successfully.

the important caveat is that the service must ensure that the neutralizing
solution gets in every crevice...on some cars (porsche 356s, this is not
possible, so dipping is not recommended).  The process works real well
on minis and has the benefit of showing everywhere that your car had rust.
(there are now holes in those locations).

A process which requires less stripping is plastic media blasting.  I had this
process done to the interior, engine compartment and boot. this process works
great, but will not remove undercoating (the pellets bounce off) and YOU MUST
SEAL EVERY CAVITY INTO THE BODY or your car will leak media for months and
months.  the first race of the season, it appeared as if I was sponsored by
a sandbox manufacturer.  the passenger floor was about 1/2 inch deep in the
stuff.  it is still coming out, after a full season of racing, vacuuming and
air blowing.

hope this all helps.

jim fuerstenberg

                        186,000 miles per second, it's not just a good idea
                        it's the law!

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil or
xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil

The opinions stated herein are solely my own and not those of my employer