Electromotive Inc.: STAY AWAY

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Electromotive Inc.: STAY AWAY
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 92 15:49:18 EST
I just got through talking with some yokels at Electromotive, Inc. regarding
their engine management systems.  Their stuff looks pretty good, but I called
today asking about the capabilities of their direct fire ignition systems
and was very disappointed.

They sell two systems, one a "manual" box with advance vs. speed
programmable by means of pots, and the other a PC-programmable box with
a 64-point speed-load advance map.  I wanted to know whether the simple box
had a vacuum advance control.  They said, sure, but "the EPA made them take
it off the market because use of that degree of freedom would allow
generation of excessive NOx emissions."  Seems if I want to adjust for load
I have to spend twice as much on the PC-programmable version.  I asked if
I could obtain the simple box with vacuum advance control for a propane-fueled
application.  The head yokel said they "prefer not to sell it that way."

I asked to speak to upper management and was refused.

Anybody have a line on their management?

        Tim