Fixing broken temp. gauges

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fixing broken temp. gauges
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 11:17:44 PST
     Several folks have recently pondered the repair of the
     capillary tube, etc. on temp. gauges.
     My .02 worth is that I can remember reading/hearing
     that the temperature sending unit is filled with ether
     (!) rather than atmosphere. This bore out when one day
     while bombing along in Redcar I caught a strong whiff
     of starting fluid, and the temp. gauge started slowly
     creeping downward, finally coming to rest at 0 degrees.
     When I removed the unit I could definitely smell ether
     at the broken tube end.
          So, even if you could find someone to braze the
     bugger up, it'd have to be done in an ether atmosphere
     in order for the calibration to be correct, I suppose.
     After breaking two of these I broke out the dual
     purpose gauge & installed a Smith-Warner oil pressure,
     and a Smith-Warner water temp. & all's well.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com