re: Whitworth and Triumph

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: re: Whitworth and Triumph
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 92 10:12:47 EST
sohl,william h writes:

 > >Did any of the early Triumphs use whitworth nuts and bolts?  I suspect
 > > TR-3's might; how about TR-4's?
 >
 > Except for some of the screws, nuts and bolts used for the
 > assembly of the SU carbs and Lucas electrical components,
 > all the rest of the fasteners are SAE coarse and fine thread
 > stuff on the TR-3 through and including the TR-6.  The

I can agree with this statement.  When I did a complete rebuild of my
'75 TR6 engine, everything was SAE fine thread grade 5 bolts... EXCEPT
for the two whitless bolts that held the starter solenoid to the
starter.  The twin ZS carbs appeared to have all SAE stuff on them.
If there was anything else that wasn't SAE I probably broke it in the
disassembly process.  :-)

-Scotty

"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"  (probably due to a whitworth fastener failing... :-)