engine/speed calculations

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: engine/speed calculations
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 92 06:56:25 PST
          Several people recently queried about how to
     calculate either what the actual rpms or car speed
     should be, given one or the other. Well, awhile back I
     pondered the same thing as I had several tires sizes &
     gear ratios to play with, and came up with a fairly
     simple formula I'll share. Please bear in mind it is
     absolutely linear; no tire growth, nor wind drag, nor
     falling torque curves, but it does at least help you to
     see what you got.

     What I wanted was given tire size & gear ratio, to be
     able to put in rpm & get out mph, or vice versa. This
     is what I came up with, assuming a 1:1 top gear;

                          drive tire dia. in feet
     rpm x (.0113636)  x ----------------------- = mph
                            final gear ratio
     or,
               final gear ratio
     mph x  -----------------------    / (.0113636) = rpm
               drive tire dia. in feet

          For example, running a 3.91 rear end ratio and a
     tire with a 5.68' diameter (185/60HR-13), at 6000 rpm;

                      5.68
     6000(.0113636) x ---- =  99.05 mph
                      3.91
     or,