Reasonable speed for Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Reasonable speed for Midget
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 92 09:52:48 EST
Mike Chaffee writes:
 > First, how fast is it safe to run constantly on the highway in this car?
 >      (Keep in mind that it's a 3-main engine and the final drive translates
 >      to about 3700-4000 RPM at 65 MPH.  I'm just wondering if anyone has
 >      any suggestion on the upper limit to engine speed for long drives.)

Hmm - I'm also very interested in any recommendations from the list.
My '66 Midget seems to indicate rpm of nearly 5000 at 65mph. I'm not
sure whether to trust the gauges (especially the tacho) but I don't
normally take the car over 60 mph because of worry about excessive
engine wear. 60 mph is quite a "dawdle" on UK motorways, which is why
I always take the backroads, where 60 mph provides a reasonable level
of exhilaration and demonstrates the wonderful handling of the Midget.
Anyway, I would be very interested if anybody had any figures
indicating the standard rev/roadspeed ratio in 4th for Midgets. I have
always wondered if my Midget had a special high ratio diff. Just for
reference, my Midget is a 66 and has the 1098 engine and gearbox - I'm
not sure if the gearbox was changed for the 1275 engine. I also have
standard tyres (in fact the whole car is standard). Maybe Midget and
Sprite owners good just send me their rpm at 65 mph (with any special
conditions - tyres, special diff/gearbox etc) and I could correlate
the results.

Thanks,

        Paul.