More Jaguar mewsings

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: More Jaguar mewsings
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 92 13:16:28 CST
In Patrick Krecik's note he states, "When the engine is cold the
oil pressure comes up to around 50psi at 2000 rpm. After an
extended cruise down the highway when everything is really hot
then the gauge reads very low and at low revs doesn't register
anything."  He goes on to state that this problem may be related
to an oil leak.

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has apparent oil
pressure problems.  My '84 XJ-S will hold at least 40psi oil
pressure at road speeds - even around town speeds.  However,
when hot, the oil pressure guage reads near zero at idle.  My
friend and professional Jaguar mechanic Paul Collins tells me
that I should not worry about ANY guage readings at idle.  The
Haynes and Jaguar manuals go on about not trusting readings at
idle.  However, as Patrick implies, these low readings are quite
unnerving.  I continually remind myself that I am looking at a
guage (probably made by Smiths, hooked to a Lucas elictrical
component) that registers to 100psi!  There is room for error...

Additionally, I too would like to hear the group's thoughts about
synthetic oils.  Especially appealing are the ones that advertize
that they bond or stick to the parts to assist in reducing cold
start wear.  As I am rebuilding a 1976 XJ-S and it's V12 engine,
I want it to last.

Comments?

Rick
     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, untill they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...