Peerless GIF

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Peerless GIF
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 12:30:58 -0500
Garry Archer has posted a B&W gif of a Peerless GT to hoosier from his
"The Complete Catalogue of British Cars". For those of you still in the
dark as to what one looks like, here's your chance. I'm still looking
for a colour scanner for various stuff...

The gif car- UK reg# B28 HPH, race # "99", right hand drive.

This car has a MK1 body. Mostly. It has the same driving lights as the
LeMans car (see below), which mine doesn't. The centre hood scoop, and the
3 ports on the front wing are modifications, and are either to increase
airflow through the engine bay, or that car has different engine stuffed
in it. The bulges on either side of the scoop are standard- the one
on drivers right is to clear the tops of the SU's. They are almost big enough-
the brass dashpot cap on my front carb is flattened in front from the
bonnet banging against it!

The MK1 has headlights/wings that stick out, about even with the grill, and
a smooth, rounded roof line over the rear window. My car is a MK1.

The MK2 got trimmed back wings, with the headlights recessed a bit, and
regular british trim rings (like MGB, etc.) The rear of the roofline
got raised and squared off a tad, to make more back seat headroom.

Some MK1's have been modified with MK2 front ends. There is, for example, a
picture of the LeMans Peerless in the Oct. 92 Throughbred & Classic Cars, at
a recent English gathering, complete with Peerless (and Gordon-Keeble) founder
John Gordon. In this picture, the LeMans Car has a MK2 style front end. I'll
have to check an old picture to see if it ran LeMans that way, but it
*was* taken directly from the first months production, just in time for
the 1958 race.

The Warwick is simlar to the MK2, but with a tip-forward front end to get
at the engine, and a new channel line running along the sides of the roof.

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."