Re: TR3 Wiring?

To: gfd@akguc.att.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Wiring?
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 92 23:59:32 PST
> After 2 years of assembly, cutting, welding etc. I am finally
> putting the finishing touches on my 60 TR3 (Georgia licence
> 60 TR3A).  Last night, when hooking the wires to the rear
> turn lamps (single filament) the aged masking tape that I put
> on to tell me their location was gone.  I don't want to fry the
> LBC after all this swork.  The Bently manual schematic shows a
> dual direction and tail lamp.  Me thinks that this may be for a
> pre #6000 com or a TR2.

You're right.  The schematic in the Haynes TR2,3,3A,4 & 4A manual shows a
dual filament brake/stop/tail in the rear for a TR2,3 & 3A.  The Bentley
manual for the TR4 and TR4A, however, shows wiring for separate turn and
stop/tail lamps (which is the same schematic as in the Haynes manual for
the TR4 and 4A, not surprisingly).  Anyway, it shows the wiring for the
"Direction indicator, R.H. Rear" as Green-Red hot, Black earth; and the
"Direction indicator, L.H. Rear" as also Green-Red hot, Black earth.

Actually, now that I look at it, I think that the schematic could be
wrong.  (I *hate* it when that happens!)  The way it is drawn/labeled, both
rear turn indicators would flash when the indicator switch is in one
position, and both fronts would flash when the switch is in the other
position.  Also, I would assume that the wire colors would be different
right-to-left, not front-to-back as the schematic shows.

thump-thump-thump-thump ... slam!
slam! ... thump-thump-thump-thump

Just went out to the garage to check my very early TR4 - the rear indicator
wires both appear to be solid green, but it could be that the 30 year old
red or white insulation marking may have faded out of existance by now.

For completeness, the tail lamps are shown with Red hot; the stop lamps
Green-Purple hot; both Black earth, which agrees with my car.

Hope this helps a little!

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "It was the kind of day when the cap on the anti-seize tube won't
         come off."
                                                        -Scotty Paisley