Manifold clamps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifold clamps
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 92 23:50:57 -0700
A long time ago (okay, it was only a week or so) Kevin Riggs discusses
his intake and exhaust manifold clamping:

   Also, cast-iron brackets are used on this car to clamp both the intake
   manifold and the exhaust header with a single bolt.  With the stock
   intake and exhaust manifolds, this system worked adequately.  But I
   currently have a header, and the mounting flange is not the same
   thickness as the intake manifold---soon I'll have yet a different intake
   manifold, as well---so I'm looking for a more positive method of
   securing the two flanges, using a common stud, but with something other
   than the stock cast-iron bracket.

The stock clamps work well for most cases.  They are free to wobble just a
bit to compensate for some difference in flange thickness, but not much,
maybe a tenth of an inch at most.  In the past I've either ground down the
appropriate area on the higher of the two manifolds, or ground down one side
of the clamp.  But if you grind the clamp, then you have to worry about
having the proper side in the proper place when you tighten them down.

mjb.