1500 engine transplants

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 engine transplants
From: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 15:49:57 EST
I'm thinking of buying Bill Woodruff's 1500 Spitfire engine to transplant
into my '79 1500 Midget (it _already_ has 9:1 pistons?  What a guy!).

Has anyone done this transplant?  Know of any clearance problems,
transmission matchup problems, etc?  I know that some of the Spitfire
bits won't go in a Midget.  For example, the aftermarket Spitfire fuel
pump (sold by Moss, VB, etc. as a direct Midget replacement) fouls the
steering column in a Midget.  Anyone know of any other gotchas?

I was going to build up my current engine over the winter, but after
thinking about the upcoming new EPA tests, I decided to keep it totally
stock so I'd have the option of doing engine swaps to get certified.
(This car is my daily driver when the snows aren't flying.)

Sigh...maybe I should just throw a tow bar on the Enterprise and go
haul that basket-case '66 AH Sprite back from New Zealand...

timd@ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies, Ltd.)