Re: gasket material

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gasket material
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1992 09:52:14 CDT
Kevin Riggs (work@riggs.b30.ingr.com) writes:
> The material is copper mesh, clad with some tough black stuff.  This
> material was very difficult to work with.  After experimenting with some
> small bits of it, I settled on cutting it with a sharp chisel against a
> wood board.  This method gave fairly good accuracy in cutting out the
> ports, but it left the copper wavy and, in some places, knotted.

If you end up doing it again with the same material, I'd suggest using a
metal base instead of wood. I suspect the chisel is squishing the gasket
material down into the wood slightly, thus stretching it (the gasket) at
the edges. Use a metal support of some sort (vise? anvil? :-) that won't
give under the pressure of the chisel, make sure the chisel is sharp, and
you should get crisp, flat edges on the gasket.

-- Andy