Re: Tire DOT date stamp

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire DOT date stamp
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1992 14:21:56 CDT
Dave Brady (david_brady@engtwomac.synoptics.com) writes:
> So I ran out to my triumph an looked at the time stamp on my brand new
> 008Rs.  They were made on the 20th week of 1987! [...] These recently
> purchased, brand new tires are 5 and 1/2 years old!

If it IS a reputable tire place, you could try going back and complaining
about it. They might offer to get you a fresh set, though without any
obvious problems with the 5 1/2 year old set, this might be unlikely. It
looks like you bought a very slow-selling size from that store.

> My tires seem sticky enough but I am concerned that next year I'll be
> faced with a dry-rot problem. Any comments.

I suppose you could try giving them a thorough soak with Armor-All or
similar, but maybe your best shot would be to try and get them exchanged
first.

I don't want to start a flame war over this, but frankly I find the dry
rot concern a little overrated. The failed tires I've seen usually got
that way through gross neglect and abuse: running underinflated, scrubbing
on curbs, and so on. Yes, I have seen dry rot on old tires; my neighborhood
has more than its fair share of beaters, but I have not come across any
blowouts or sidewall leaks caused by dry rot. Very strictly MY opinion only...

-- Andy