Re: MGB Flywheel & Ring gear

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Flywheel & Ring gear
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1992 17:02:25 CDT
Kendall (kendallr@smtplink.chey.com) writes:
> I just purchased a new ring gear for my MGB (the old one was pretty chewed
> up). Only problem is, the teeth on the new one are stepped along one edge:
>                          __________
>                         |          |
>                     ____|          |
>                    |               |
>                    |               |

>               Profile of the gear teeth
>
> I'm not sure if the step should face the transmission or the motor.  Anyone
> done this before?  Anyone know?  I have a feeling the step should face the
> motor, where the starter first engages the ring gear.

Can I take a wild stab at this? I think your feeling is correct, reasoning
thusly: on this design, as you've drawn it, the load on the edge of the fly-
wheel tooth where the pinion first engages it would be spread better through
the base of the gear, as that edge is centered over the ring. On the old fly-
wheel, the edge of the tooth would also be on the edge of the supporting ring
below it. NOTE: As I said, just a (slightly educated) guess!

-- Andy

P.S. Looked out the office window this afternoon and saw an AUSTIN AMERICA
parked across the street! Is this an omen, or what??? :-) :-) :-)