Freeze the Rear hubs?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Freeze the Rear hubs?
From: Clay Robinson <crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 92 09:59:57 EDT
From: crobinso
Full-Name: Clay Robinson@program support
Subject: Reply:  Isetta on TV
To: british-cars@autox.team.net

Reply to: 8 Oct 92 From: mburdick@unmc.edu Subject: Isetta on TV

>> the car will appear on ABC's "Family Matters" Friday.  One of the characters
>>>apparantly buys one and more than likely will be ridiculed.  I know nothing
>>>about the show, but if you've never seen an Isetta, it may be worth tuning
>in >>for a minute.

   The car was in a promo for the TV show the other day.  I was at the
Dutchland Collector Car Auction Saturday 10 October and was bidding on a
really neat red 1954 Isetta 3.0.  The car is small enough to put into
the trunk of my SP-250 (not, but almost.)  The car had really nice red paint
with the exception of a poor tape job, i.e. lots of overspray in the wrong
places.  Anyway, bidding got rediculous.  I stopped bidding around $2500 and
the car sold for $4700.  LBCs don't get much smaller!

>>BTW, the Isetta was made by BMW.

    Although made by BMW, I believe the car was built in Britain for several
years.

    There were about 500 cars at the auction and at least a couple thousand
people in attendance.  I go to collector car auctions as they are a much better
way to truly see cars than at most auto museums, and there is a bigger variety.
Other LBCc there included an '89 Rolls Corniche Conv't with a high bid of
$102,000 (reserve was higher though as owner stated replacement is over $200K),
a 1962 MB miget 1600 with fake side pipes (yechh) bidding opened at $1000 and
sold for $1650, 1978 Lotus with PS, PB, AC, and a v8 exhaust leak bid to $6100
but with a reserve of $7500, 1926 Austin Conv't Red with black top and right
hand drive bid to $7100 with reserve of $8500, Some kind of MG replica built in
1983 bid to $4000 (don't know if it sold or what model was as I was looking at
other cars at the time it went through), 1956 Jaguar XK140 with rebuilt eng and
trans etc bid to $28,500, 1982 Rolls Silver Spur one owner 42K miles with all
records sold for $35,000 after much prodding from the auctioneer and audience,
1984 Rolls no sale at $36,000, 77 MGB with overdrive sold $2700, MGB-GT white
with british tags no sale at $2600, 1980 TR7 conv with 34K miles no sale for
$3500 with reserve of $4500, 1956 Jag XK140 beaut !
bid to $48,500, 1967 Rolls Silver

    Although not LBC content, I also bid on a Bricklin with 360 V8 and "only
3500 miles".  My last bid was 6000 and the winning bid of $6100 won the car.
WOW I wish my good senses had not got a hold of me.

    Lots of other LBC to be auctioned on 11 October but I decided not to
attend, too many cars desired, too few dollars in my wallet.

    I hope the above gives insight into car auction here in east.  It was held
in Strasburg, PA.  Usually lots of foreign investors present, particularly from
England, but this year I could not tell.

The above comments are strictly my own and do not represent views nor
endorsement by my employer.

Clay Robinson, PO Box 9092, Alexandria, VA  22304  (703)644-0419