More adventures in chemistry

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More adventures in chemistry
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 92 09:53:38 -0700
Hey, here's a question I've seen asked before (and that I've asked myself):
What do you use to clean oil stains off the garage floor?

Last night, I had occasion to deal with this question again.  After trying
a couple of commercial products that are supposedly designed specifically for
the purpose (one a petroleum distillate of some sort, the other sodium
metasilicate or something like that), I turned to more desperate measures.
I happened to have a can of oven cleaner sitting out that I had been using
to clean to glass door of the woodstove, and thought "why not?"

This stuff worked pretty well!  I just sprayed it on, let it work for a few
minutes, scrubbed at it with a push broom, and hosed it down.  The difference
was pretty dramatic.  Now, granted, this stuff's probably not too good for
the environment, but the other cleaners I tried were probably no better.

You do want to keep it away from things like newly painted cars, tires, etc.

-coryc