A question of timing

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: A question of timing
From: dbraun@cadev6.intel.com (Doug Braun ~)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 11:01:39 -0700

Hi, I decided a ouple of weeks ago to fiddle with the timing on my
'72 Spitfire, which had gotten a SU setup ahd headers since I last
adjusted the timing.  I decided to apply the concept of: "Advance
timing until it starts knocking under load, then back it off a bit."
The problem was, no matter how much I advanced it, it would not knock!
The engine is supposed to be 9.0:1 compression, and I use regular gas.
I had it advanced to 24 degrees BTDC or so at idle (with NO vacuum
advance or retard hooked up), and still no knocking.  It seemed to
run just fine, though.

Is it possible to advance the timing too much and have something bad
happen, like burning valves?  Or is that if the timing is too retarded?

Inquiring minds, etc.,

 Doug Braun                         Intel Design Technology
                                    408 765-4279

 dbraun@scdt.intel.com

 or maybe:

  / decwrl \
  | hplabs |
 -| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev6!dbraun
  | amd    |
  \ qantel /