Raccoons and soft hoods.. (cloth v. vinyl?)

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Raccoons and soft hoods.. (cloth v. vinyl?)
From: kristian@cs.uchicago.edu
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 92 14:40:16 CDT

        Last weekend I was up in the Wisconsin wilderness.  Although we
attempted to clear all the food out of the car and into the boot, there
was a tuperware tub of peanut butter stashed behind the seat.  Mr. and
Mrs Raccoon rapaciously attacked the back window and surround making a large
hole which enabling entrance to slurped up the protein.  They also were
kind enough to leave a wee bit of scat behind.

        Insurance will be covering the loss minus $100. I am hoping to
make up for the lost $100 by doing the installation labor myself.

        The real meat of this post is to do with what sort of replacement
top should I get for my Spit 15?  Is Duck cloth better than PVC or just
more expensive?  Why do no US suppliers sell the Duck or Mohair?
This seems to be the cost breakdown:

        AMCO = $110 (snaps pre-installed, Special Interest)
        Robbins = $180 (snaps supplied, TRF, VB)
        vinylide = $175 (snaps pre-installed, Prestige UK)
        Duck  = $195 (snaps pre-installed, prestige UK)
        "Original" PVC = $269 (snaps pre-installed, new UK offer from  VB)

        All have zip RR.  One thing I have seen on a TR6 Robbins top is
refelctive strips on the sides and back.  I wouldn't mind having that if
I could find it for the Spit, but I have been told none of the above offer
that.
        In the ad for Prestige UK (Hemmings) they mention Duck being a better
sound insulator.  Is that true?  How is the waterproofness of these duck tops?
        The other consideration is not to get anything too flash since I live
in the city- but then again the only trouble I have had in the past year
has been from small tree-dwelling four legged mamals with pointy fingers.

        I think having the snaps pre-installed is a bonus.  I am not sure
I am patient enough to spend a lot of time getting them perfect.

ta,
Kristian