RE: Jag Oil Changes

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE: Jag Oil Changes
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 92 09:59:58 WST
>Subject: RE: Jag Oil changes

someone wrote...

>> Yesterday's digest had a description of changing oil on a Jag; and the
>> mess it caused because of the oil pouring out. On trick that I've
>> tried is to pound an awl (or an old phillips screwdriver) though the
>> bottom of the filter, and let the oil drain out into the pan. It may

Then David wrote...

>Nice trick, but only if you have spin-on oil filters. And the Jag would
>most likely not have this. I don't think driving an awl through the filter
>case would be appetising to most older LBC owners because of this!
>
>David

Then lots of other people wrote ... [other interesting suggestions deleted]...

Good tries guys...

1st, the series III XJ6 does have a "spin-on" (desposable) oil filter, some of
the series II do to but the above ideas won't help on the XJ6 series because
even "in place" if the oil filter...

"gushes, trickles or spills oil" it will still be "all over the steering rack,
boots and suspension which have been carefully designed in order to trap, pool
and segment the oil spillage in such a way that it turns from a single stream
into "oil rain" dripping off an area about 2' square exactly over the area
your chest and head would be positioned if you were to lay under the car in
order to extract the filter."

I suppose you could attach a hose from the filter to the oil drain pan :-)

Regards #2 Scott
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.                 Perth -->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ-6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.