Re: Hot Time in Santa Clara

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Hot Time in Santa Clara
From: knipper@optilink.com (Ron Knipper)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 92 18:40:19 PDT
Roland:
> This morning I was kinda wishing that I hadn't taken the heater out but
> by this afternoon lack of cockpit heat was not a problem.  In fact, it
> was a downright toasty and I was thinking more in terms of how to get
> additional cool air into the car, especially the footwells.

Me too.

I have experimented with some stuff called "Heatshield" that I saw
advertised in Hemmings.  It consists of:

    1. a layer of Al foil
    2. a layer of nylon mesh
    3. another layer of Al foil
    4. another layer of nylon mesh
    5. .375" foam

I replaced selected pieces of the Aston's interior padding on the
driver's floor and firewall (primarily because of easy access to
the pieces).  The 17 year old Aston padding consists of:

    1. a layer of badly deteriorated open cell foam
    2. a layer of sheet Lead
    3. another layer of badly deteriorated open cell foam

After driving a bit, I felt the old padding on the firewall;
it was noticeably hot.  The Heatshield padding next to it was
warm, but much cooler than the old padding.  Unfortunately, a couple
pieces of Heatshield didn't make much difference.  Most of the heat
is coming from the tunnel area which still has the old padding.

Since I am planning to dismantle the interior this Winter anyway
(to respray the leather), I am going to install Heatshield under
the entire area where the exhaust is routed.  I am not sure if this
will cure it, but I am willing to give it a try.  If it fails,
then I'll consider redesigning the heat baffles and adding exhaust
wrap.

Regards,

Ron Knipper
DSC Optilink