Re[2]: Restoration Questions

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re[2]: Restoration Questions
From: Nelson Yaple <Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 12:47:56 PST
Rob asks about painting coils:

The paint that is always recommended in Your Classic magazine is
something called Hammerite.  It seems to be the first choice of
anyone painting a suspension, but I have never seen it here.

Will

I have.  I've just completed painting of my Lotus Elite frame with
          Hammerite.  Hammerite is a "Glass Flake reinforced paint".
          It is supposed to be rust resistant and does not require a
          primer. It comes in both brush and spray cans. I've seen it
          at several location here in the NorthWest, Fred Meyers, G.I.
          Joes and several ACE hardware stores.

          Plan on a day to paint something since you have about 4
          hours after the first coat to apply the second coat ( or
          wait 6 weeks while it cures).  I needed about 3 full coats
          to get 100% coverage.  Brushing it on is like painting with
          Elmers glue, real thick stuff.

          I'll let you know in a couple of years how well it did
          against rust.

          Nelson

          Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com