double clutching

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: double clutching
From: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 11:32:46 CDT
Is double clutching advisable? I recently bought a
1968 Jaguar E-type coupe in extremely good condition
and I noticed that the brakes and the accelerator are
very close together. I assume this was done to aid
double clutching. The two pedals are so close that if
you're wearing wide shoes they brush against the pedal.
I'd like to utilize all the sports car feature of this
car to the fullest and double clutching seems to offer
great promise. So can someone explain to me how you
double clutch? I think I know what it is but I just want
find out for sure before I grind the hell out of the transmission.
Should I try this out on a rental car first?

Best Wishes
Zahid

ps: has anyone tried buying parts for this car? boy!! they
    are outrageously expensive. Anyone know of any overseas
    suppliers that are reliable and carry good quality stuff?