Carb help - Friday brain teaser

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb help - Friday brain teaser
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 92 13:52:31 -0400
        This should be a challenge for net wisdom.  I have been talking
with some of our U.K. list members trying to get a set of 1 1/2 su carbs,
the proper linkage, and misc accessories for a 1500 Spitfire engine.
We have come up with a set that has come off of a Dolomite 1500HL.  I have
two questions.  1.  Will these fit on my spitfire?  2.  Will I be able to
use them as is or will I need to change the needles?
        I guess what I really need to know is whether the Dolomite 1500HL is
the same as the U.K. Spitfire 1500 and if the U.K. Spitfire is the same as
the Federal Spitfire.  At the very least I need to know if the intake ports
and intake manifold geometry is the the same.  Otherwise, I'm not sure which
elements are most important in determining what needle you require in a carb
(camshaft I suppose), but would I be able to use the one listed for the U.K.
Spitfire if it is different from the Dolomite?  Any help would be cause for
much kowtowing at your feet.

Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu